Monday 3 October 2011

Thing 21

I realise I'm getting out of order here but in an effort to keep up with the tasks and complete #cpd23 as soon as I can I thought I'd tackle Thing 21 next. The focus is on promoting yourself in job applications and at interview. Having been in my current role for 8 years it is a very long time since I've submitted a job application or attended an interview. I chartered 5 years ago but haven't updated my CV since then (I know, naughty, naughty!) so Thing 21 is a useful reminder to do this and also a chance to brush up on this area. As ever I found the further reading and resources highlighted enlightening.
The task for this week encouraged me to identify my likes, and strengths. Having considered this I can share that I particularly enjoy writing. I am fortunate that my current role offers plenty of opportunities for this that I always eagerly snatch up. I've also created new opportunities for myself through making suggestions. Thing 21 has made me realise just how many different types of writing tasks I undertake or have done previously. Currently I am writing an information sheet on careers, I also regularly contribute to our staff newsletter and our society's membership magazine, as well as compiling my own e-newsletter from the library and information service, I write abstracts for our library catalogue Autism Data, I Tweet and now as a result of #cpd23 I blog too. I've even started to think that I might start to blog personally (as opposed to for this course). I suppose this has made me realise just how much I love writing, and how many different types of writing I do. It has emphasised to me the skills I am using in these areas that I love, e.g. communication skills, and accuracy.
We are also asked to share interview tips. I don't think I have anything to add really to those shared under the further reading, other than to emphasise the importance of preparation and self-confidence. I found the idea of gut instinct shared by Auntie Daniel very interesting too.

No comments:

Post a Comment