Monday 10 October 2011

Thing 20

Thing 20 is on the Library Routes Project This is such a fantastic idea. I really enjoyed reading about other peoples roots and routes into the career (basically the why and the how). Most people, like me, didn't set out to be a librarian and decided late on in their first degree that they would like to go into librarianship. I think this is a strength because it means we tend to have degrees in other subjects or even other previous careers that we can bring to our librarianship careers. What I really like about the project is how it demonstrates the variety of roles available. Some people shared how prior to embarking on the career themselves their view of librarians was limited to the people who stamped their books in the public library, and given that this isn't usually a librarian that would do this, it shows the value of projects like Library Routes in sharing what librarians do and why. It has inspired me to have a go at Library Day in the Life next time it opens for contributions. In the meantime I'll encourage my colleagues to contribute to Library Routes. One thing to note is I had trouble posting on the Library Routes wiki at first. I think it was because there weren't any new free unused spaces created at the time (i.e. a line with name, job title, link for you to type your details over that hadn't yet been used by someone else) so if this happens to you come away and go back a few days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment