Monday 22 August 2011

Thing 12

Thing 12 is about considering the role of social media in building up networks and a sense of community. I haven't really been a personal user of social media prior to this course and that will probably remain the case. I have used Twitter professionally. I have never blogged before (you can probably tell) but have found it a useful experience. Now of course I could have done an online course and reflected more privately so I guess this is where the 'social' comes in. I have found it interesting, rewarding and empowering to embark on this learning journey with others and to have the privilege of sharing their experiences. I have started following a few blogs and made contact with fellow information professionals in a variety of sectors and from around the country. It is unlikely I would have ever met these people or come across their blogs and yet one blog in particular Join the mass debate with Auntie Daniel I have found useful and especially entertaining. If you like cats, Madeira, and bizarre library mascots do check it out - it's the blog for you! Fellow learners' blogs have been especially useful and insightful because of the spirit of honesty into which we have all entered. There has been a definite sense that we are learning together and can all learn from one another to build on our weaknesses and inexperience and share our strengths in a helpful way. It has been so refreshing. I think social media for most can never really take the place of face-to-face contact and 'real world relationships' but in this and other contexts it can be empowering and lead to other things. My instinct is to think critically about what works for you or your workplace, about what you want to achieve, and how much time you want to devote and stick to that, reviewing on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment