Friday 1 July 2011

Thing 3

Branding, oh dear! I must confess that I find the whole branding thing a bit of a turn-off. I know, I know, naughty, naughty! Conveniently I'm even more pushed for time than normal this week so alas you won't be subjected to my ramblings on the subject - what is this saying about me(?!) I should be asking. There proves I've learnt something! Seriously though, I did do the sad Google search for my own name as instructed. Alas I married a lovely, unique man with a very common surname so I don't appear in any results with only my name. I also share a name (first and second name) with another librarian with an online presence so adding library doesn't really help. If I add a keyword related to the charity I work for then you do get the delight of my presence in the first few pages. I'm not on Facebook and the like, and I'm only on Twitter for work using an insititutional account so nothing there. Amusingly what does appear as the top result is my doing a sponsored walk with my little boy. You then get a few articles I've written in library journals. I think the experiment highlighted to me the breadth of one's online presence especially if you are online in both a personal and professional capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment